My next book, SHATTERED VEIL, will be coming out in February 2014, and I'm looking for enthusiastic folks to help me spread the word!
SHATTERED VEIL is super special to me. I wrote the first draft when MAJOR HOTSAUCE was deployed, back in 2010. Maybe not surprisingly, it began as a story about a girl who didn't know how to survive while the love of her life was gone to war...because those were the feelings I was tapping into at the time.
Since then, and through many, many revisions and re-imaginings, the book has changed - A LOT. At its heart, now, it's about the lengths we'll go to be with the people we love, what we'll sacrifice to do the right thing, and how war can change us, as people and as nations. It was written when the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were still going strong, when "don't ask, don't tell" was still in place, and when the general public seemed to be less and less aware that our brave young service members were still fighting - and dying - every day.
Now, having said that, it's a science fiction novel, and without political agenda. But those events and the feelings I had about MAJOR HOTSAUCE being gone all informed the story and my characters' journeys. And my love for adventure, cool gadgets, and characters who change and evolve...and become total badasses...also figure prominently into the story as well. ;-)
Here's a one-line description:
For one young, talented wingjet pilot, war means sacrificing everything: her home, her name, her face...and the one promise she swore she'd never break.
For a more complete description, head on over to its Goodreads page (and while you're there, feel free to add it to your TBR shelf! ;-))
So...are YOU interested in SHATTERED VEIL? Have you read By Blood and/or Moon Child and want to read more of my writing? Are you a fan of YA and/or NA scifi? Do you like promoting indie authors...and getting fun perks like early copies and swag?
If you answered "yes" to any of the above questions, I invite you to join The Night Witch Squadron!
"is the English translation of Nachthexen, a World War II German nickname (Russian Ночные ведьмы), for the female military aviators of the 588th Night Bomber Regiment, known later as the 46th "Taman" Guards Night Bomber Aviation Regiment, of the Soviet Air Forces." (Reference)
(I discovered these "Night Witches" as part of my research for SHATTERED VEIL and was absolutely blown away by their story. Such incredibly brave, inspiring women! For more on WWII's Night Witches, I recommend this article from The Atlantic and this one from the NY Times.)
So, what does becoming a member of The Night Witch Squadron entail? Well, mostly it's about spreading love for SHATTERED VEIL. Examples of ways street team members can participate:
- Join the Facebook Group and chat about SV, writing, publishing, fun vacation spots...whatever you want! I'll answer questions and generally be there to get to know you.
- Invite other readers (adults or teens) to join our team.
- Talk the books up on social media when you feel inspired - FB, Twitter, pinterest, tumblr etc.
- Lead contests on your social media platforms. (I'm happy to provide prizes!)
- Spread the word to family and friends about SHATTERED VEIL.
- Take promo materials to local writers groups, coffee shops, conventions, etc.
- Suggest one of my books for any book club in your area.
- Skype or Google me into your book club or schools to discuss the book and writing.
- Recommend SHATTERED VEIL to your local library.
- Talk SHATTERED VEIL up at your local bookstore.
- Use hashtags to get discussions going about SHATTERED VEIL.
- Post honest reviews on any site like Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.
- Add SHATTERED VEIL to your Goodreads lists.
- Post about SHATTERED VEIL on launch day and participate in the cover reveal.
- Post about author news such as awards, appearances, etc.
Basically, you'll be SHATTERED VEIL's awesomest, most talented cheerleaders. :-)
In return, and with TONS of gratitude and smooshes and awkward virtual hugs, you'll get:
- A welcome pack - which will include fun swag (like bookmarks, pens, and possibly candy ;-)) and a badge for your blog or website.
- An exclusive "first look" at the cover of SHATTERED VEIL (and subsequent books) a week before it's unleashed on the world.
- A free e-ARC of SHATTERED VEIL.
- Access to a members-only Facebook group for open discussions of the series, indie publishing, and writing.
- Monthly missions - A monthly drawing for members if you complete a special mission. Prizes will include Amazon/BN gift cards, books, query & first-page critiques, etc!
- Cool extra details on the military history that served as inspiration for the book, as well as exclusive character info, sneak peeks of the next books in the series, and "for your eyes only" extras.
- Free books and swag for giveaways on your blog.
- If you have a blog, first dibs on blog tours, cover reveals and other special events.
- And other fun stuff!
This is NOT about spamming. I'm looking for people who are genuinely interested in SHATTERED VEIL, my writing, and who love talking up their favorite books and sharing book love. Nothing more than you feel comfortable, and no tactics that would make someone ELSE feel uncomfortable.
If you're interested, please use the form below to sign up! The first event - an exclusive cover reveal on the Night Witch Squadron's private facebook page - will be happening in a couple of weeks. I hope you'll join me for all the fun!
Here's a link to the form, if that's easier for ya.
Please spread the word to folks you think would be interested in joining! Thanks!! :-)